Budapest International Fair 1971
Budapesti Nemzetközi Vásár 1971
|Szilvásy, Nándor||A1 1 Sheet (cca. 55 x 84 cm)|
|1971||Fine, fold marks, light wear.|
The ancestor of the Budapest International Fair was called March Fair and the first one was held in 1906. The goal of it was to motivate people to buy local products. The fair became international in 1918 and the name was changed to Eastern Fair. The number of foreign sellers and buyers was constantly growing thanks to the establishment of the international fair card with which the taxes and travel costs could be reduced. For the locals, there were cheap fair trains available to help them getting to Budapest. In 1935 the Confederation of the Hungarian Industrialists joined the process of organizing the fair. The Budapest International Fair (Budapesti Nemzetközi Vásár, BNV) is still existing, however , not in its classic form.Today they have more than one specialized fairs a year.
The composition is simple: the black background highlights the three cubes in the colours of the Hungarian tricolor: red, white and green. The cubes refer to the stalls of various nations placed next to each other on the fair held in the capital city of Hungary. A Hungexpo emblem appears on the top left corner. Hungexpo was the Hungarian export company, Budapest International Fair was part of it.